A sketch of your floor plan is much easier to work from than an actual floor plan.
Floor plans are exactly that, plans. We need actual measurements. Also, a sketch
speeds the design process up significantly.
Follow our simple steps below and you can create a sketch of your floor plan with
all the information needed for us to begin a kitchen cabinet or bathroom vanity
design for you. To make sure all measurements are correct, follow These Steps
(This PDF will give you a form to make it easier):
1. Draw a rough sketch of your kitchen or bathroom. Generally your kitchen
will be a U, L or galley style kitchen. It may include things like an island or
peninsula as well. If your unsure what you have, click here: Types of Kitchens
2. Measure every wall, beginning at the left corner, to the far right corner.
Write down the total measurement in inches.
3. Go back and measure from the left corner to the edge of any opening, such
as as a window or door.
4. Measure across the opening from outside edge of trim to outside edge of
5. Mark on your sketch, the exact location and size of the sink. Be sure to
measure to the center & not the edge. Measure all appliances including stove,
refrigerator (including height), microwave, and dishwasher.
6. Measure from the floor to the ceiling.
7. Measure all other walls in kitchen following steps above.
Measure from the floor to the bottom of your windows & mark it down.
Then measure from the bottom of the window to the top of the window. Always
from outside edge of trim.
Measure from the top of the window to the ceiling & mark it down.
Mark on your sketch, the exact location of the water & gas lines, wall switch &
receptacles, & any other obstructions in the room. Be sure to measure to the center
of these & not the edge.
If you haven’t already, measure the width of any doors, from outside of trim to
outside of trim.
Indicate on your sketch how each door swings.(In to or out of the room & which
side the hinge is on).
Double check your work.
Use the Drawings below as a guideline.
How to Measure Your Kitchen for Cabinets